"There is no chance, no destiny, no fate that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a DETERMINED soul."

Theatre Review & a Poem

The Mikado presented by Taylorsville High School
October 15, 2011



Just over a week ago my family saw The Mikado at Taylorsville High School.  It was EXCELLENT!  I laughed my socks off, or I would have had I been wearing any, and had a great time.  Since this is a completely nonsense, unterly outrageous, and completely satrical play I don't really think it needs a lot of reviewing.  Therefore I will just mention a couple of the things that I thought about as I watched this play.

The set design was awesome - unfortunately it seemed to crowd the stage at times, and everyone seem smashed into half of the stage and movement was restricted. As always Taylorsville has some awesome voices and the music was pulled off wonderfully.  I didn't feel like I needed to go and download it from iTunes right after, like I have after seeing some others, but I do feel like this play is really only best if watched, especially if you are in a silly mood.  Finally the comedic aspects were pulled off flawlessly.  Just by the names that were used in this play Gilbert and Sullivan created awesomeness - Yum-Yum, Pooh-Ba, ect.  Then with the brilliance of the T-ville actors it came together into a fabulous night of laughs.

So I am not much of a poet, however when I feel inspiration for something I have a hard time letting it go.  As such I hope you enjoy my poem entitled Humility -

Humility


Humility is a sinner on their knees,
a child begging please,
a terminal disease,
a heart ill at ease,
and a trait all must seize.

Humility feels a heart broken and a spirit contrite,
is filled with Christ’s light,
strengthened by heaven’s might,
and chooses the right.

Humility is my one desire,
my refiners fire,
and without which my life is dire.

Humility loves one another
like the example of our brother.

Humility is the only road to life Eternal.

                        -Sarah Beth                            

  

No comments:

Post a Comment